quinta-feira, 25 de março de 2010

Just a story


Almost 30 years ago, I got this light meter. And I got it after some fight with a friend, who didn’t use it (he had more and better), but didn’t want to sell it. Eventually I end up with it!
Back home, I realize it gave me different readings when used as an incident reader or a reflected reader. I asked my friend about it and he, who teach in a photoschool, told me: “You wanted it, now you learn!”
There was no internet then, so I couldn’t use any forum to get some help. That way, I was forced to use my own brains (thank you my friend!), and after some time, and after reading the user manual, I came up with solution!
This is a “Studio” meter, build to be used into one, even if it works equally well outside. The question is that in a studio what generally matters is the skin tone, so it was calibrate to measure it, instead of the usual 56% grey card. And every measures I did were one stop darker than what they should.
Knowing this, there was two different approaches: either I work with it as it was, considering this kind of measurement, or I recalibrate the meter, using several others as references. I did the second!I closed some of the holes of the grid for reflected light and I came up with a light meter that gives me the same results as any other, hand-held or camera.

Why all this story? Well, because I think we have to know as well as we can our equipment and how to use it.
Some times, when light situations are extreme, either high-key, low-key or back-light, is difficult, if not impossible, to have an accurate light measure. The solution, at least one of them, is measure your own palm of hand, supposing you are an average Caucasian person, under the same light that gets on your subject, and open one stop to what the meter says.
Obviously, the ideal situation would be the use of an incident light meter or, still with the reflected one, having the measure done on a 56% reflectance grey card. But they are expensive and not always available.

I suppose it doesn’t really mater the tool your are using, as long as you really know it and how it works. I have several light meters, some to be used, some just for the fun of having them. But my Seconic will always be at the reach of my hand, faithful as it is.

Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: