sexta-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2010

WC chain

Between the tripod and monopod, at one side, and the Shake Reduction system on the other, either on the sensor or on the lens, there is this other devise that aloud us to have some extra steadiness on our camera.
I learned about it in an old almanac, I guess it was from the 30’s. And when I read it I had the same kind of doubts you will have. However, I gave it a try and I became with a useful and uncommon gadget. I call it the “WC Chain”!
How it is build: get a chain, a small one just like those used on old WC flushers. It should have 2 metres, or some more if you are a really tall person. Fix it to a screw, the same size as the fixing hole on your camera. If you have a fast fixing system, as I do, add a small hook or mosquetere some links below.


How to use it: Fix it to the camera; let the chain fall down to the ground; eye level the camera and lower it just a bit; firmly step on the chain; push the camera up. And that’s it!
You just won some one to two stops, with experience two to three stops.
This “WC chain” is as cheap as it can be, as light as it can be and as small as it can be. We can forget it into a lost pocket on our bag, lady’s purse or vest, but is always handy when the light is low and we can’t use a tripod. Either because we are on vacations and didn’t want to carry one, or because they don’t aloud us to have one, like in some music shows and so.
I don’t use this on long lens because, beside my own shake, there is the shake produced by its weigh and this does not absorb it. But for a pocket or a compact camera and for a wide angle to a medium long lens, is perfect.
Two to three stops are guarantee!
Now, get ready for some strange looks when you fix and use it with your camera. It sure isn’t the most common thing seen in photography world. But, are we, photographers, common people?

Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: