quinta-feira, 23 de julho de 2009

Photo friends


Not long after I got my first computer, I start working with my first digital photo camera.
By then there were few models on the market and it took me some time until I decided on what to buy. And the chosen one was this: a Sony Mavica FD 71. And for several motives:
It uses as media 3 ½ fllopy disks. Then, it was a must, since each branch use his own system and we had to install some kind of software to see their pictures every time we want to see them on a new computer. And, some times, we can’t do that.
This camera also allow us to do manual focus, something I consider indispensable to have. Further more, this manual focus was done using the focus ring at the lens and not some electronic control. Not so many cameras did that, then.
Third: it have a 10x lens, quite good and having a maximum aperture of f/1.8, Can you find a medium quality camera, now a days, with such aperture?
We can also turn off the back light of the screen, allowing to save power in day light. Clever system!
Besides being a digital and not a film one, two things were quite different from what I was used to do:
We can’t lend it on the face but have to use it at some 20 cm away. And that was something really new, then;
The lens isn’t on the centre of the devise but at the top left. It was strange working with a camera with the lens off centred.

Why all this?
Well, some years latter, I sold the camera, since I got the Olympus Z3030. But, as always, some time after I regret the trade. I have some attachment to my cameras and I miss those I sold. I still miss my Linhoff ones!
But, lucky me, the business was done with a colleage, at work. And, after all this years and a phone call, I was able to have it back on my hands. I paid him what he asked me, 30 €, and it was a good for both of us: He didn’t use it any more, I got my “precious” camera back.
Believe it or not, this 12 years old camera still works as new, with it’s 640x480 picture, accurate light measure, fast and effective auto-focus having nice colours and perfect light balance.
But the funniest thing of all was laying my hands on it, after all this years away, and find out that they – my hands – knew by heart every buttons and shapes. As if I have being using it until yesterday.

It will be kept safely stored, away from dust and moisture, together with some others old friends, like the Kodak 110, the Lomo (made in USSR and not Russia), the loyal Olympus and so. My Pentax LX is always in my second bag. Some of the others are my today’s lovers: all the time with me, making love!
But, as I do with the others, once in a while I’ll pick it up, recharge its battery and take some pictures.
After all, a friend (even old) is forever!



Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: