quinta-feira, 25 de junho de 2009

How difficult a photo coverage is!


But I was there! If my friend, John Doe, who pretend to be a photo reporter, didn’t want to be there, me, not willing to be a professional or a photo-reporter, couldn’t resist to the appeal.
I had two main conditions, self imposed, to photograph this GLBT demonstration:
First, I had to give voice and/or visibility to those who, because of their approach to sexuality, aren’t equal under law’s eyes.
Second, I didn’t want to do pictures of the so called “freaks”. The recognition of their equality wouldn’t aloud me to individualise their differences. My goal was to get all that using rather symbols than people.
But, getting there, I realise it would be interesting to have two other perspectives: How the media was dealing with it and how the so called “normal persons” were dealing with it.
So, with all those ethic considerations and limitations, did I get what I want? I guess not!
Most of the photos I did, even if they were aesthetic and technical acceptable, are far from my self imposed conditions. I have them but I will not publish them.
This one is, probably, the one that fits the best my way of seeing this demonstration: no freaks, if there were any, no individualizing, no breaking the privacy that all of them want, even if they were there. It was done just before it ends.
Not just the dominating rainbow colours, their chosen symbol, but the couple. They wanted to be photographed! As a matter of fact, they asked me to do a picture with their own camera, before I did this one.
Further more than any sexual question is their affection or love. And the possibility of showing it to each other, in some place where there is no discrimination or recriminations. Love, regardless sex or gender!
And this was what the demonstration was about: no social or legal discrimination because of the way love is felt and practice!

But, believe me: this was one of the most difficult photo work I’ve ever done!


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: