terça-feira, 12 de maio de 2009

On photography - 800th


Most photographers walk around the world. And the world can be earth or his home town.
They look for the right situation to photograph. And it can be light or subject.
And they want to show what they got with their camera, what they felt. They want to communicate and, some times, use their work to make some difference. Being that difference of aesthetic, political or social order.
As for me, some of my work is quite different.
Instead of walking around the world, I choose a single spot.
Instead of looking for subjects or light, I wait for them, on that very same spot. The sun and the leafs on the trees will change through the day or year. So does shadows and brightness. As well as the people who stands in front of my camera. I just have to stay there and wait.
And I don’t care a bit about the communication factor on this project. At least, the communication that, usually, can be found on photographs. Is the interaction between photographer and poser that is important. The talks, the stories, the smiles, themselves.
Technically and aesthetic, those photographs done with the “Oldfashion” camera aren’t good at all. But I must say that it isn’t a priority on my project.
The idea is older than 25 years. It has been growing through time, having several influences like the “Family of the Man” exhibit, the work of August Sander, the Catalan “Vidiotron” and many, many others.
And my main objective was to find some answers on sociologic or anthropologic issues. But, with the variety of situations and conversations, the course of this journey had change. The original questions are still to be answered, but new questions came up, at least as important as the original ones.
And this project, build to last two years, is now on its third one and, for sure, it will celebrate its fourth. As long as the weather helps, my legs keep its strength and the equipment, home made as it is, don’t fail.
Not just for my curiosity about the mankind. That was my goal and I do not give up on it. But is the pleasure of being there, the pleasure of listen those stories and, some times, confidences, the pleasure of provoking those smiles, those so many smiles, all those pleasures… I don’t know if I want to stop them.
As for the picture above, it’s the 800th done on this project.


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: