sexta-feira, 10 de abril de 2009

On photography - Survival kit


I don’t like to go to exhibitions on the opening day.
First of all they are too formal to my way of living, with everybody having lots of frivolous and useless chatting.
More than that, all those persons are smiling, waving their heads, stating how much they are liking what they are seeing when, most of the times, they are not.
But the worst isn’t that! Are the speeches or presentations of some pictures, becoming boring till the bones staying there.
And we either get some stupid excuse like “I have to pick up my grand father at school” or “I have a plain to catch to Timbuktu” and leave or we have to stay there, politely, until the end, trying not to make a loud yawning.

That was what happened that time.
The author, who I just knew from some forums on the web, sends me a nice invitation. And I went there.
Besides the photographs on the walls, some good, some not, we had to fill up the other room, where a presentation awaited us. As boring as it could be! And, since there were more people than chairs, we have to see all that standing where we could, most of us against some wall.
But I was lucky!
Since it took place on a quarter unknown to me, I took all my gear with me. And I did a photographic walk around before it was time to enter.
By “All my gear” I mean my back pack with camera, some lens, flash, filters and so on, and my monopod, just in case for some macro photos or alike that may need some stand. And it was it, my monopod, that saved my day!
At the bottom of the room, behind the last row and in the dark, I use it as a shepherd’s crook. Due to the darkness, and because I opened and closed it discreetly, I was able to be there until the very end.
I was tented to share it with some others, standing against the wall and looking at me with envy. But I had to survive that experience and I keep it for myself all the time.
At the end, I still had the strength to smile and say some nice words about the show. And I promise my self never, ever, went to an opening exhibit without my monopod!

And where is it on the picture?
Well, it doesn’t matter its brand or if it’s made of wood or metal. As long as it’s strong enough to hold me for some two hours.
But you will see it in some other photo to be shown here, soon.


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: