quinta-feira, 25 de setembro de 2008

Answering - a personal poin of view


If you were a photographer or a videographer for as long as I am, you may think the way I do!
The great majority of the pictures taken in the world (video or photographs) include persons. In a way that is natural, since photography is also a desire for possession of the object or the meaning of what is photographed.
But more than a half of those photographs were not made with their permission. Or even with their knowledge of the act!
We, the image-makers or picture-hunters, presume that just the fact of having the “gun” allow us to shoot whatever we want, whenever we like. The hunger for “that” picture, for the one that is different and better than all the others ever done, take us to forget that everyone as the right to be preserved in their intimacy, even in a public place, the right to decide if their picture can or not be done.
And, among all, those photographers and videographers related with the media (TV or newspapers) are the worst! Looking for the front page or the prime-time, there is not ethic to be respected, for “The news is more important than persons”! This sentence was told me by a respected and important newsman, sometime ago!
But those that aren’t related with news aren’t better! Just to get the trophy, to show their performance as photographers, to show that they got the chance of being there when it happened, they shoot everybody, whenever they want or not, whenever they know the fact or not!
Of course that we can say that pictures of disasters, poverty and so on can and are used to modify behaviors and thoughts all around the world and, as much people see them, as much they can change it. That is what happen whit some great photographers and videographers, connected whit some media.
But most of us, photographers and videographers aren’t so and, for sure, I am not!
And so, the great part of the image-makers and photo-hunters do it for personal glory, regardless the opinion or desire of their targets! And the least we can say about this is “It’s not fair!”

This position of mine is also based on a general attitude in life, were freedom and respect are the mains, if not the only, rules!
Being so, and trying to be coherent, I seldom photograph people unknown. At least on those occasions, when I do it for my pleasure. As what I do as a professional… Well, I have to eat too and this is my prostitution role in life. But I don’t know for how long!

English is not my natural language, and translations seldom are accurate. And this subject can not be written in a few lines. Anyway, I hope to make myself clear on the why I don’t photograph strangers in the street.
My approach to make portraits of mankind is, rather than it self, it’s work. The things he builds, he does, he undoes, the right and the wrong things.
Of course I do exceptions. Now and then my lens points to some absolutely unknown person and my finger hits the trigger. And I’m not proud of it! Or, in another way, my project “Oldfashion”, that can be found here (www.photoblog.be/oldfashion) .
If, with my attitude, my message reach the public, that is something else. But that’s the way I do it!


Texto e imagem: by me

Sem comentários: